The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, November 17, 2023

November 9 - 12, 1987

Monday, November 9, 1987

 

A very nice day. I did the washing. Carmen came, she cleaned the house, did the shopping. She had Brogan with her. Dennis was away. Billie and Bill Bugsby hauled the bedding. Zack didn’t go to school. Betty began her cleaning. I made a cake and pie.

 

 

 

Tuesday, November 10, 1987 PERM

 

Done up the work, got ready, went down to Barbara’s. I got my permanent. Came home. Kim came and got me. I watched soaps in PM. Billie got most of his outside work done. Betty cleaning. She called in evening. Milan called today. Brogan walking a lot now.

 

 

 

Wednesday, November 11, 1987 A Holiday

 

I made out some orders, did regular work. Brogan sick with a cold. Carmen was supposed to have someone come and look at her house. Coming Saturday. Walt and Zack worked over there today. Betty cleaning today. Milan called and Betty in evening. Also Carmen dropped in a minute. Bill coming down with another cold. I hate that. Brogan walking all the time now. She thinks she is smart walking.

 

 

 

Thursday, November 12, 1987

 

We didn’t get any snow. They got it in Portland last night. I got one order off today. Got some other ones ready. I watched soaps in PM. Bill sick all day and was last night, a bad cold. Kim got some things at the store for me. Billie and David worked on the water at the barn almost all day. Dorothea called this evening. A lot of wind and some rain and cloudy. There was some sun in late PM. Betty got her living room done.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment