The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, November 7, 2023

October 6 - 8, 1987 Aunt Betty's Birthday

 




Tuesday, October 6, 1987 Betty Cox Smith 6___

 

A quite nice day, it was a pretty good day for the fair. I did a wash and finished the ironing. Kim down to Betty’s all day. I watched the soaps. Carmen brought Brogan over to Betty’s while she worked. And then after work Betty, Carmen and Kim went to North Windham to shop. All rest of the night. They left Brogan at Betty’s all night. Tonight went down to Betty Smith’s for her birthday. She was pleased. She got some nice gifts, card and money. Had cake and ice cream. Betty, Carmen, Kim, Zack, Brogan, Billie, Dorothea and me. Barry began on the corral fence tonight.

 

 

 

Wednesday, October 7, 1987

 

Cloudy in a.m. In PM it rained hard, a cloudy day. I done up the work and down to Betty’s in a.m. Carmen and Kim were there. I saw Betty’s new clothes she got, they look very nice. I came home, got the lunches. I watched soaps in PM. Brogan is so cunning all the time. She changes all the time. Billie up to Dorothea’s to get some papers fixed. They got home from the shopping at about 3 AM.

 

 

 

Thursday, October 8, 1987

 

I done up the work, made a blueberry pie and brownies. Got chicken ready to cook for supper. Bill down to doctors for x-rays. Billie busy all day. Betty and Carmen took the electric fence down. They cleaned the garden. Billie harrowed it. It has been a very nice day. Kim and Carmen and Brogan had supper here tonight.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment