The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, November 19, 2023

November 17 - 20, 1987

 

Tuesday, November 17, 1987 BROGAN 13 MONTHS

 

Oil man came this morning. I did a big ironing. Billie gone to Norway. Bill is better today, a dite. Carmen got the groceries. Betty recleaning her house. Zack feels bad about the mess the bricks made. I did the ironing. Carmen working tonight, I don’t see Kim much except she drives by occasionally.

 

 

 

Wednesday, November 18, 1987

 

A quite nice day. I didn’t do too much. I washed Bill’s handkerchiefs. He isn’t at all good. He hasn’t heard from that Dr. yet. I did some odds and end jobs. Carmen had to work tonight.

 

 

 

Thursday, November 19, 1987

 

A quite nice day. I done up the work, made 2 apple pies, got ready a roast pork supper. I got to watch most of the soaps. Carmen, Brogan and Zack up for supper. Bill acted a dite better. He was up most of the day. Went down to get his haircut but the barber not there. Brogan is very cute all the time. She walks all the time now. Called at Betty’s a little while. It looks very nice down there. All cleaned. I talked with Kim on the phone.

 

 

 

Friday, November 20, 1987

 

Bill still sick abed. Up some. He went to the Dr. today. He gave him some medicine. He don’t know when he will get his appointment to go to Portland for gall operation. He suffers a lot of pain with it.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment