The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, November 26, 2023

December 14 - 17, 1987

 

Monday, December 14, 1987

 

A partly cloudy day, some sun. I got up, did my washing. I felt better. I cooked a roast beef dinner. Carmen came and cleaned. She has to work tonight. Brogan came with Carmen. She is a smart cute little girl. A Spitfire sometimes. I hope she gets over it. Carmen is so busy all the time. She went to town for us today. Kim worked tonight too. Well this morning David came down for the first time since his operation. He looks good. He visited a long while.

 

 

 

Tuesday, December 15, 1987

 

Got the tree in today. Carmen and Betty. Then Carmen, Betty and Kim did the decorating. Also Brogan. I did the ironing, made a apple pie. Did up rest of the work. Billie got all shook up because of the tree.

 

 

 

Wednesday, December 16, 1987

 

We had a big snowstorm last night and snowed all day. Not too hard. I done up the regular work, made two batches of fudge. I made a Jell-O and chocolate pudding. In evening Betty took me, Betty and Milan over to Carmen and Brogan’s to see the tree. It is a beautiful one. We enjoyed the visit very much. Brogan was pleased that it was not we came over and Carmen too. Brogan was putting on her acts for us. The traveling wasn’t too bad. I feel so sorry for Carmen. I wish she had a good sensible husband. Someone to be responsible for them.

 

 


 

Thursday, December 17, 1987

 

I made rest of the fudge today. Carmen and Brogan here. We looked after Brogan while Carmen went down to the Christmas party at the hospital. Kim also attended.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment