The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, September 30, 2023

May 19 - 22, 1987

 

Tuesday, May 19, 1987

 

A nice day. I did my washing and ironing. I made a blueberry pie. We sat the flowers out. They got Carmen’s cement forms in today. Betty and Carmen got a lot of cleaning done in her kitchen today. Anna Hewson and Betty Smith took Sadie over to Lewiston for test etc.

 

 

 

Wednesday, May 20, 1987 Kim

 

They set up the forms to pour the cement walls at Carmen’s. Today about 10:30 AM Kim came to attend the funeral of Gwen’s father. Gwen Garland was one of Kim’s childhood and adulthood friends). Went through school together. Billie and Milan went to Norway shopping. Got a lot of things. Anse Buzzell called to see Billie. He has some cows coming tomorrow. After supper Betty H, Betty S and I drove over to Harrison. Anna and Betty took Sadie over to Anna’s house for a while. Betty got two bedrooms done today.

 

 


 

Thursday, May 21, 1987 PERM

 

I got my permanent today. It looks good. I got up early. 5 AM. Got a bath and my hair washed. Got breakfast and the work done up. After I got home didn’t do much. Got the lunches etc. I watched the soaps. Billie up to Dorothea’s and to town.

 

 

 

Friday, May 22, 1987

 

Well it came off hot in the night and been very hot all day. Carmen and Betty came and washed all the windows on the outside. They looked very good. Also I cleaned the screens and we got them all on. Carmen to town and done the shopping. Brogan was here all day, she was very good.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment