The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, September 10, 2023

March 7 - 9, 1987

 

Saturday, March 7, 1987

 

A mild day, but some cloudy too. I didn’t do much, just regular work. Washed floors. I went down to Betty’s for a little while. Carmen and Brogan called this afternoon and here for supper. Brogan is just like a pink mayflower. She is so clean, pretty and cute. She is getting more cute every day. Well, I heard some very bad news today. Chris Rager is in the correctional institution in Portland. He has been going down the hill from bad to worse. I feel very bad for him and I would do anything I can to help him. I love the child and it is awful to know where he is. He has a big problem which I hope he can work out. He needs something he never had. I feel sorry for Susan too. I hope a pat from her he will get soon. They are our flesh and blood. We love you Chris.

 

 

 

Sunday, March 8, 1987

 

A very nice sunny and mild day. The snow is settling alright. Walt, Zack and Milan called for coffee and donuts. Zack had breakfast. All are very concerned about Chris and his case. Also feel sorry for Susan. I wish we could help.

 

 

 

Monday, March 9, 1987

 

A mild day, but cloudy all day. I did a wash. Washed and put a rinse on my hair. I made a rhubarb pie. Betty called also Milan and Betty called in PM. Bill to town. I’m still lame, it makes me so mad. Susan and Chris met today in the conference rooms in South Portland at the S. Portland Correctional Ctr. Dorothea went, it was so heartbreaking for them. I feel so awful about this. I hope it all will come out okay and Chris will be a changed boy. It is awful. I feel sorry for Susan too.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment