The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, September 8, 2023

February 28 - March 3, 1987

 

Saturday, February 28, 1987

 

Sunny this morning. It began to cloud up at about noon. I didn’t get up until 6:30. It put me behind my work. I did regular work, washed floors. Made an Indian pudding, a chocolate cake, made biscuits for supper. Baked red kidney beans today. Billie done a lot, cleaned outside, the hens. Zack came up, he and Billie loaded a load of hay and hauled over to Carmen’s. Zack cleaned his hens out too. Walt sick. Carmen and Betty gone to Portland today. Milan called this morning.

 

 

 

Sunday, March 1, 1987

 

A big snowstorm. We got about 8 to 10 inches. It snowed hard all day. I done up the regular work, made some sloppy Joe’s for supper. Jack called today. Milan called a little while. Walt up for coffee. I read rest of my SD Magazine. Billie had a hard time with his foot today.

 

 

 

Monday, March 2, 1987 NO SCHOOL

 

A miserable day. Snow and more snow. Phonie came and plowed driveway. Zack came up and did the shoveling. Also Bill and Billie shoveled too. We watch soaps today. I didn’t do much of anything except washing.

 

 

 

Tuesday, March 3, 1987

 

Snowing again this morning. It is all white outside again. I hate it. Carmen came and cleaned the house. Dennis had the baby. Then he had to take her to the Dr. for shots. Betty called today, she looked very good. Said she is feeling much better. Well we got snow flurries all day. Milan came and brought some water. Carmen did the shopping. Checks came today. $576

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment