The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, September 2, 2023

February 5 - 8, 1987 Carmen's 24th Birthday

 

Thursday, February 5, 1987 CARMEN CHRISTIE HORTON

 

Carmen is 24 today. She is spending the day at home with Dennis and Brogan. I went down to Betty’s. She is very weak. I did her dishes. Dorothea and Betty were there. They did a lot for her. Cleaned the house etc. Carmen called a little while.

 

 

 

Friday, February 6, 1987

 

I done regular work. I did a wash. Did my hair. Some other jobs, watched programs. Milan came up. Billie’s foot is sore and painful today. Carmen enjoyed her vacation of four days. Some people looked at her house today. Billie got milk today, a nice day. It is snowing some this evening. I done some cooking. Betty is gaining. I didn’t get down today.

 

 

 

Saturday, February 7, 1987 Betty called, Kim came today

 

A beautiful day. I got the work done up. I frosted the cake for Kim. Also made one for our supper. This forenoon who came driving in the yard? Betty. She looks good and acts good. She gets tired easy. About 11:30 Kim drove in. She came down from Lynn in about 2 ½ hours. We was glad to see her. We talked. I finished some work I was doing then we went over and called on Carmen and Brogan. We came home about three. Betty drove the car over but Kim drove home. Betty got tire. Kim spent the afternoon and for supper with them at home. She seemed pleased to be home. Zack away last night and today at a friends. Milan called, brought some water.

 

 

 

Sunday, February 8, 1987

 

Mostly sunny in a.m. Clouded up in PM. I did an ironing. I made sloppy joes for supper. Did the regular work. Walt up for coffee. We sent some sloppy joes down for Hortons supper. Zack up this evening.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment