The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, September 3, 2023

February 9 - 12, 1987

Monday, February 9, 1987

 

On the cloudy and stormy day. I did a wash. Cooked a roast pork supper, it was very good. Bill and Billie to their doctors. Billie’s foot is doing quite well. His toe is healing. His heel looks awful. Bill is doing very well he tells them. Zack home today, he is sick.

 

 

 

Tuesday, February 10, 1987 OIL

 

A beautiful day. Carmen came and cleaned up the house. Betty and Zack called. Zack is sick. He and Betty to the doctors, he told Betty’s she is doing well and not to overdo. Zack has Montose (Mono), a sleeping sickness which many teenagers have. I hope he will get better soon. He is a very good boy, kind and thoughtful. We enjoyed the visit from Brogan a lot. Milan and Betty was here. Betty got a chance to see her. Got cheese and butter etc. today.

 


 

 

 

Wednesday, February 11, 1987 Windy

 

A beautiful day. It has been awfully windy all day. Snow blowed so hard. I made a grapenut pudding and brownies. I did a washing. Also down to Betty’s in forenoon. Carmen and Brogan down there. That little Brogan is a bundle of joy to us all. She is a doll. I watched or we watched soaps today. I talked with Kim tonight. She is okay. She is doing very well on her own. Working steady. I ironed.

 

 

 

Thursday, February  12, 1987

 

Cloudy. Milan called. I done up the regular work. I made a scalloped potato for supper. Watched soaps. They had the vet for Ebony. She is sick. This afternoon Dorothea called. She brought us a box of Valentine chocolates. Also a card from her. I sent cards. Betty called a minute. Been cloudy all day.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment