The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, September 12, 2023

March 14 - 18, 1987

Saturday, March 14, 1987 Sunny

 

A very nice day. On the mild side. I didn’t do too much today. I washed kitchen floor, besides the regular work. Zack and Walt are in Rhode Island for Aunt Vi’s funeral. They got there yesterday at about 4:30, will attend the funeral at 10 (Catholic). They called at Kim’s on the way home. Kim seems on the downcast side. Not too happy. Milan called. Billie up to Dorothea’s, she sent me down some anklets to wear next summer. Walt and Zack got home at about 6:00. Zack has a cold. The wind was on the coolish side today. I got a phone call from Esther. Betty had Brogan for a while this PM.

 

 

 

Sunday, March 15, 1987

 

Another nice sunny day. Walt up for coffee. I done up my regular work. Wrote to Esther. Sent Phyllis a card. She has been in the hospital for operation on the bottom of her foot. A malignant cancer was removed. Billie’s foot is better.

 

 

 

Monday, March 16, 1987

 

Billie to the doctor. His toe has got to come off. First they got to get the infection out. It looks bad. I did the washing. Made a apple pie, other odd jobs. Watched soaps. Milan called a minute. Also Betty up. It is still cloudy and on the cold side. Zack called this evening. Bill to Dr. for checkup, he is okay.

 

 

 

Tuesday, March 17, 1987

 

Still cloudy and cold. Carmen came and cleaned the house. I made a pudding, did the ironing etc. We watched the soaps. Betty had Brogan till the babysitter picked her up. Betty had some more of that pain.

 

 

 

Wednesday, March 18, 1987

 

Cloudy. I sent for Billie’s Shaver Saver. Did odd jobs. I sent Dot’s birthday card. We watched the soaps today. I did a few odd and end jobs. Billie out, up after milk and up to Dorothea’s.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment