The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, September 26, 2023

May 2 - 5, 1987

 

Saturday, May 2, 1987

 

A quite nice day. I done up regular work. Made a Indian pudding and made a batch of rolls. Baked some good white pea beans. Carmen, Brogan and Zack here for supper. Carmen and Brogan with Zenya had been to Windham all day shopping. Baby got very tired. Zack and Billie hauled out the dressing down to Walt’s. Bill read all day. Betty and Walt out to Portland for supper and some shopping. Zack’s truck has problems, got to take it to Portland.

 


 

 

Sunday, May 3, 1987

 

 

A fair day, kind of on the hazy cloudy side. I been busy all day. I did odd and end jobs. In PM Bill and I called up to David and Dorothea’s to see Fern. Milan called today. Walt up for coffee. Billie did fencing down on Walt’s pasture down in the woods. Cassie has a good time.

 

 

 

Monday, May 4, 1987

 

A quite nice day, more sun. I did a wash, got my supper started. Betty came up for a minute. Billie fencing some more at Walt’s. Bill reading all day. I had a baked sliced ham supper.

 

 

 

Tuesday, May 5, 1987

 

Well, got up and it was raining. Well, I made sandwich materials also packed some brownies. We went way off up to Meredith in New Hampshire looking at trailers for Carmen. Carmen, Betty S, Betty H and Brogan and me all went. It was such a rainy day, miserable. Bill and Billie home all day. I did my work up. Got started early.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment