The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, September 16, 2023

March 28 - 31, 1987

 

Saturday, March 28, 1987

Not sure what is going on here!

 

Mostly cloudy day. I’ve been busy. I did regular work, other odd jobs and washed floors. I made bread and rolls, the first time for a long time. Made a cake. Carmen came at 2:30 with Brogan and left her here until Sandy comes to pick her up at about 4:30. Zack helped Billie take the lawn mower over to be checked out etc. Also helped him do other chores. Milan called in a.m. Betty and Walt down to Windham. Zack did a lot of raking down home today. Brogan was good while she was here.

 

 

 

Sunday, March 29, 1987 THIS HAS BEEN LIKE SUMMER

 

The snow went a lot and many bare spots in the field came out. Didn’t do much work except the regular. Walt and Zack up this morning. Milan came also. I did a lot of catching up reading. Betty and Walt out riding around. Then she came home and made Italian sandwiches for supper. Also us. So I had a real easy day. They talked with Kim, nothing decided yet for sure. I hope all will be for the best.

 

 

 

Monday, March 30, 1987

 

Another mild sunny day and the snow went a lot more, the field is getting real bare now. I made a blueberry pie for supper. I washed, Bill put up a new mailbox posts. Billie to Dr. Doyle, he will be in the hospital next Tuesday the 7th to have that other toe taken off. Betty called this p.m. Dorothea this evening.

 

 

 

Tuesday, March 31, 1987 HEAVY RAIN AND WINDS

 

It has been a very heavy rain and wind. THE SNOW ALL WENT. I been busy, I done a ironing, defrosted the refrigerator. I cleaned the stove. I fixed a Swiss steak for supper. Watched soaps. Milan called. Carmen, Dennis and Brogan gone to Portland today.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment