The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, September 18, 2023

April 5 - 8, 1987

Sunday, April 5, 1987

 

Well a rainy day to go with that old daylight time which is coming. I got up quite early. Walt came up for coffee. I did regular work. Did the bills and wrote to Esther. Milan went into the hospital this morning, a bad case of asthma. He couldn’t breathe. Betty and Dorothea down to see him. Betty and Walt out looking at some land or such today.

 

 

 

Monday, April 6, 1987 MISERABLE WEATHER, BEGAN THE HOUSECLEANING

 

Carmen came over early this morning. She began in my bedroom. Got that done. Zack came up after school and he cleaned the radiators in Billie’s room, also he cleaned the bed, that will be a big boost for working in Billie’s room tomorrow. I did regular wash and the extras. Bill to town. I send the bills out today and a letter to Esther. Milan got released today from his congestion. We are on that miserable daylight time. I hate it. It goes darned good with all this miserable rainy dark dreary days. Because of George Mitchell we get it three weeks earlier.

 

 

 

Tuesday, April 7, 1987

 

Carmen came and we did my bedroom. Zack came up and did the living room radiators. Betty called. The rain has poured down all day. What a mess.

 

 



 

Wednesday, April 8, 1987

 

Rain again. Carmen came, we finished Billie’s bedroom and I done cupboards and draws in the bathroom. I made a mince pie and cooked a roast beef for supper. Brogan is a beautiful child. Billie up to Dorothea’s and after milk. Bill down to the spring. I called Kim tonight. She didn’t have much to say. She is okay and still working, likes her new apartment.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment