The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, September 15, 2023

March 25 - 27, 1987

 

Wednesday, March 25, 1987

 

Another nice day. I done up the work. Made a custard. Carmen came, got lunch, went down and did the shopping. She and I went down to see the snaps of Brogan. Very good. We watched soaps. I had beans for supper. Didn’t do very much today. A nice sunny day, snow went a lot. Dennis had Brogan today and tonight. I called Kim tonight. She is quite excited about her apartment she is going to look at. She is going to try and made a go of the change, moving away from Eddie. She may come home if she can’t make ends meet. I miss her a lot and love her. I’m glad I have Zack and Carmen to see often. I’d be glad to see Jeff more too.

 


 

 

Thursday, March 26, 1987 rain and cloudy

 

It has been a cloudy rainy day, the rain was heavy at times. I done regular work. I made cocoa, mac & cheese and (blank). I watched or Billie and I, the soaps. Milan called. Billie has a lot of pain today in his heel. Betty to the doctors today. She has been having a lot of pain lately. They took x-rayS at the hospital. She has pleurisy and those scar tissues, which she has, caused from her operation etc., has been pressing on the pleurisy and caused this awful pain. Carmen brought Brogan this PM and Dorothea was here. We all took care of her. She was good. Betty helped when she got here. Brogan is so heavy for Betty to handle. Also Zack was here. Then babysitter came about 6 PM for her. We had a nice visit with Dorothea. Also she brought us some snapshots from Jeff. They are good and we was pleased with them. I sent a letter in regards to the Bill’s magazine.

 



 

 

 

 

Friday, March 27, 1987

 

A cloudy and some sun shine today. I done a wash. Watched soaps. Had swordfish for supper, very good. Milan called. Billie over to Fryeburg to Goldenhar. Bill down town and out riding around. Went to town.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment