The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, February 28, 2022

August 5 - 7, 1981

 

Wednesday, August 5, 1981

 

It was cloudy and showery. I defrosted the refrigerator. I ironed, vacuum the house, done up regular work and got ready and went to Portland with Betty, Joy and their kids. They done some last-minute school shopping. Then went to the orthodontist. Joy called for milk.

 



 

 

 

 

Thursday, August 6, 1981

 

A cloudy day, dite of sun. I done up my work. Went to town with Betty and Carmen. I picked beans, made a chocolate pudding. Bill worked on the boat. Billie went with Butch Gorman. Carmen rode Flicka. Zak rode his pony Dutchess. Kim called after supper. She don’t call very much. She is a nice girl. Also Carmen. These days it is something to have girls good like they are.

 

 

 

Friday, August 7, 1981

 

I did a done a wash, dried it in the dryer. I went down to Betty’s a little while. They all was cleaning up the house. Betty cleaned the barn. Bill up to Dorothea’s. Then done these lawns in PM. David called. Bill down to Walt’s, they worked on the barn.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment