The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, February 9, 2022

May 27 - 30, 1981

Wednesday, May 27, 1981

 

It was cloudy when we got up. Done my work. I did some odds and end jobs, I washed.

 

 

 

Thursday, May 28, 1981 HOT

 

I went to town this forenoon with Betty. We took Fern down to get her hair done. Then Betty brought her up to her house. Took her up in the apartment upstairs and she also went and saw all the other rooms. She and Betty went up to their camp lot. Bill down there fixing back porch floor. Also Fern stayed there for supper. Then she, Betty and I went to the Cemetery. Then back to Fern’s. Dorothea came. Dorothea had worked again tonight.

 

 

Cowboy and Angel

Angel, Flicka and Duchess



 

Friday, May 29, 1981

 

A very nice day, hot. I have been busy all day. I did a big wash. I done a lot of packing clothes over from winter to summer. I was down to Betty’s a little while. Carmen up for supper. It clouded up in PM and quite cloudy at suppertime. Dorothea worked. Bill and kids up fishing tonight.

 

 

 

Saturday, May 30, 1981

 

A very nice day. It was cloudy early. After it cleared it was awful hot. I done my regular Saturday work but Betty was having company for supper so she wanted me to make rolls which I did. Late in PM I took my bath than kids and I went up to the shelter. Carmen and Zak here a lot, Kim dropped in. She made a delicious brown bread. Tom and Charlene done very well at the shelter today. Dorothea worked at Gail or Carrie Howe’s tonight. I bought a few towels at the shelter today.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment