The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, February 21, 2022

July 10 - 13, 1981

 

Friday, July 10, 1981 A VERY NICE DAY, Mowed David’s Hay

 

I got up and got my work done up. Then I did a dite of wash. I ironed, washed woodwork, worked in kitchen. I did a dite of cooking, cake, custard. I washed floors. Then I got my greens ready for dinner. Fern came about 2 PM. Thena didn’t get here until quite late. We enjoyed having them here, they enjoyed the dinner very much. Cold sliced corned beef. It was corned to perfection. Swiss chard, cukes, mashed potatoes, hot all bran muffins. Custard and cake. They all liked it very much. Talk some more after supper than Thena went home. Betty came, she did my dishes. Mowed David’s hay today. Butch took his two black heifers this morning.

 

 

 

Saturday, July 11, 1981 DAVID’S HAY ALL IN

 

A very nice day, much less humidity. It was very windy though and that dries the garden out so much. Today they got David’s hay all in. It is very good hay too. Betty and Walt, Billie, Kim and Zak all helped. Betty didn’t but she and I sat on the porch with Dorothea then Dorothea had to go to work at four.

 

 

 

Sunday, July 12, 1981

 

It was quite a nice day, sunny. I dite on the humid. I done up regular work. Got a lot of reading caught up. Zak here until about 4:30. Then Kim came up, she is here for tonight and tomorrow night. We picked a good mess of peas. Kim came up and she and I, Billie picked peas.

 

 

 

Monday, July 13, 1981

 

Well it is been a cloudy day and rain. I done my wash, dried it all in the dryer. My dresses came from Sears, too big. Kim here tonight.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment