The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, February 12, 2022

June 8 -11, 1981

 

Monday, June 8, 1981 Class of 1981 Class Banquet at Evergreen Valley, OVER HOME

 

A real nice sunny day. Quite mild and warm. I done a big wash. After I got it done I went down to Betty’s. We washed some windows for her and did a dite of dusting. She picked up and did her vacuuming. She exchanged the kids clothes from winter to summer. Bill is doing odd and end jobs. Bill painted at Walt’s. Bill and I drove by Susan’s this evening, the police car was in her yard. Vince got into a little trouble picking up things in the store. Today Carmen’s class had their class banquet at Evergreen Valley. Her great-grandparents home many years ago. She had a very good time, they all did.

 

 

 

Tuesday, June 9, 1981 Craig Fleck

 

It was raining when we got up, it began during the night. I done up my regular work, went down to Betty’s. We got the bottles down and washed, ready for beer making tomorrow. I did a dite of washing before I went down. I came home and got ready and we, Dorothea, Betty, Fern and I all went to the Seniors’ last assembly. It was a very good. Carmen was awarded two awards. She looked very nice. Also all students with high honors was congratulated by the principal, to Mr. Sykes. Carmen was one of them. The three other classes were at the assembly too. Kim a freshman. Betty and girls went to New Hampshire shopping after supper. Zak called. Craig Fleck died suddenly tonight.

 

 

 

Wednesday, June 10, 1981 Carmen’s Baccalaureate tonight at LRH

 

I was down to Betty’s, we made root beer. I came home, got supper prepared. Got ready and went to the class of 1981 Baccalaureate services. Betty, Walt and family, Fern went too.

 

 

 

Thursday, June 11, 1981

 

A nice sunny day, had some showers in early PM. I done up my regular work, washed, got ready. Joy came a little after one, we went to the elementary music entertainment at the elementary school. It was very good. Came home, got supper. Got ready and went to the junior high concert at the LR High School. That was a very good entertainment. Kathy Wolff was in it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment