The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, February 3, 2022

May 6 - 9, 1981

 

Wednesday, May 6, 1981 Linscott’s selling their farm

 

It cleared off and a very nice day. I cleaned the breezeway. Billie cleaned the garage. Bill down to the camp. We heard that Linscott was selling their farm to Saliba. It is so hard to believe. They have lived there for many many years. Amy’s folks owned the place. She was raised there, moving here from Hiram with her family when a very small child.

 

 

 

Thursday, May 7, 1981

 

A quite nice day, on the windy day kind. I got my work done up early. Betty, Dorothea, Fern and I went to New Hampshire. We wanted Fern to see the new mall. She thought it was nice and she done some shopping. She had a real nice day, she got very tired. Betty took Delores to town before we went. While we was gone Billie washed all garage windows inside and out, also outside of breezeway windows.

 

 

 

Friday, May 8, 1981

 

A very nice sunny day. I done a good washing today. I cleaned up the house then I picked dandelions for supper and to freeze. Bill fishing, Billie busy all day.

 

 

 

Saturday, May 9, 1981

 

A quite nice sunny day. I dite on the hazy side, also a breeze blowing. A real busy day. I got up early, I changed beds, swept and dusted. Made a couple pies, rolls. I picked some dandelions to freeze. Also other odd jobs, washed all the floors. Carmen called and Kim also Zak. Bill fishing all day. Billie mowing lawns. Betty’s folks mowed lawns also. Brud called today

No comments:

Post a Comment