The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, February 15, 2022

June 18 - 21, 1981

Thursday, June 18, 1981 Hot

 

I done up regular work. Got ready and went to town. Carmen took us today. She, Maureen, Lisa and Sally Clark took Ulie out for lunch. She leaves next Friday from home, Austria. A very nice girl. She graduated with a class over here.

 

 

 

Friday, June 19, 1981 a BEAUTIFUL DAY, LAST DAY OF SCHOOL

 

I did a big ironing. Got my work done up early. I cooked chicken for supper. Bill and Billie in and out all day. They mowed lawns. Carmen and Betty here for breakfast. Carmen all nerved up about the airline strike. Kim and Zak home about noon. All done school. Zak had a great year, very good marks, made the honor roll except one subject.

 

 

 

Saturday, June 20, 1981

 

It was some fair when I got up but it got cloudy and it showered rest of the day then it rained hard all evening. Carmen up at couple times today, Zak called also. Kim came up at suppertime to get rolls. I done regular Saturday work, changed beds, swept, dusted, did some windows, washed floors, cooked some rolls. Took bath. Billie got some nice berries today.

 

 

 

Sunday, June 21, 1981

 

We are quite concerned about the airplane straight. I didn’t do much today. Zak up here all night. I frozen berries. Joy and girls called in evening.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment