The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, February 18, 2022

June 28 - July 1, 1981

Sunday, June 28, 1981 HAY ALL IN

 

A beautiful day. I didn’t get up too early, 7:45. I got breakfast, done up the work. Went after antiques with Dorothea and Betty. They bought quite a few things. Came home and later Betty and I went up to Charlene’s. Tom called, I bought some towels. This is a beautiful day. Kim felt so much better this morning. She and Kathy gone up to the camp lot on their bikes. Today Billie got his hay all in. Bought it from Butch. At Maple Lane. Walt, Zak, Laurie and Betty helped. Went to yard sale with Betty and Dorothea.

 

 

 

Monday, June 29, 1981

 

A very nice sunny day. I got my washing done early. I defrosted refrigerator. I made a loaf of banana cake. I went with Dorothea in PM over to Ava Grovers, Everett McAllister, Bill McAllister, Charles Merrill. She was looking for furniture for her shop. In evening we went up to Evelyn Ridlons. Bill (Ridlon) is in the hospital, not very well. Billie cleaned up the hay and worked all day doing odd jobs.

 

 

 

Tuesday, June 30, 1981 COW BRED the Guernsey

 

This is been a quite nice day. I done my ironing very early. I cleaned up the house. Went down to Betty’s. She mowed her lawns today. Kim, Betty and Zak up for breakfast. Betty got her kitchen floor all done last night. Dorothea called this PM. Billie Rototilled garden and other jobs. They came and bred the Guernsey cow to and Angus bull.

 

 

Wednesday, July 1, 1981

 

A very nice day. Betty and kids up for breakfast. I done a lot of jobs in a.m. In PM I watched TV. Dorothea called. Worked at my desk. Billie and Zak to town and Norway. Kim made some brownies up here and a cake for herself. David called this morning.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment