The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, February 19, 2022

July 2 - 5, 1981 Forth of July at Camp

Thursday, July 2, 1981 checks came old amounts $134.40 $305.30 new amount $149.20 mine and $339.30 Bill

 

Today we got the increase in our checks. I am very pleased and it helps a lot. I went to town to shop. Came home, done rest of work and watched programs. Billie trimmed lawns.

 

 

 

Friday, July 3, 1981

 

 

 

It was cloudy in a.m. but it cleared later in PM. I got ready, and had Susan over for a steak cookout which they enjoyed so much. I had Fern up too. She liked the dinner. Keith came to spend the evening. He stayed till very late, 1:30. Also Dorothea was coming from Carries’s late, she saw the lights on so she called in, it was very late when we got to bed. Billie done mowing of lawns.

 

 

 

Saturday, July 4, 1981

 

Loaded for Camp

Zak

Me and Tara in Mussels II


Laurie, Joy and Mother

 

Mostly cloudy day, no rain, some sun. I done my work up, it was late. I washed kitchen floor. Took a bath, went up to Dorothea’s to help her. Didn’t do much. I stayed a little while, she had quite a few, but no one bought anything. I came home, washed a few things that I went out and sat on the porch. Billie did not feel very good. Fern called, she was lonesome and feeling sorry for herself. So Billie went down and got her, she came up here for supper. Then after supper we drove up to the camp lot. They all were coming home. Billie mowed some of the pasture.

 

 

 

Sunday, July 5, 1981

 

It rained hard all day. I didn’t do very much. David came. Kids were up.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment