The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, February 26, 2022

July 28 - 31, 1981

Tuesday, July 28, 1981

 

Not very hot. I done regular work and a big ironing. Billie mowed the grass at Irene Chadbourne’s and David’s field. We had steaks cooked out on the grill for supper. Very good. Had rain showers tonight.

 

 

 

Wednesday, July 29, 1981

 

It rained very hard last night. It was clearing this morning and cleared off good tonight. I didn’t do very much today. Checked over some papers etc. Billie in and out today.

 

 

 

Thursday, July 30, 1981

 

Not too hot today. Bill took us to town. I came home, done up what housework I didn’t get done before I went. Watched most of the programs. I have been busy all day. In PM Billie came with a bucket of blueberries, I picked them over and made a pie.

 



 

 

 

 

Friday, July 31, 1981

 

A very nice sunny day, on the quite hot side. I picked and froze some Swiss chard. I made a blueberry pie. I did a wash. Bill up to camp with Betty and Carmen. Kim worked at Fern’s in a.m. Bill did the grass trimming. Tax bill came today $692.25.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment