The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, February 22, 2022

July 14 - 16, 1981 Susan and Kids Fly Off and Carmen and Poppa Fly In

Tuesday, July 14, 1981 SUSAN AND KIDS LEFT

 

A mixed day sun, cloudy, showery. Up early this morning. Got ready, called Susan and Dorothea. Dorothea came a little before six. We went over to Susan’s and got them ready and left for the airport “Portland jet port” got them there and off on time for Florida to visit with her father and mother. Dorothea and I got home at about 9:30. I picked some string beans, cleaned up the house etc. Kim went home with Betty to work on her trunk. Wanted to get it done before Carmen comes home. Zak had company last night and today.

 

 

 

Wednesday, July 15, 1981

 

A very nice day. I have been busy. I done my hair. We picked some vegetables, string beans. I done a lot of work today.

 

 

Thursday, July 16, 1981 BILL AND CARMEN ARRIVED HOME TONIGHT ALL SAFE AND SOUND

 


 

A quite nice day. I did a dite of washing. Cleaned up the house and got ready and watched soaps then at 4:30 we went to the airport to meet the plane bringing Carmen and Bill. When we came home we went right down to Betty’s for welcoming. Kim made a beautiful welcome home cake. Bill and Carmen were very tired. All talked and listen to all the wild tales. We came home and got to bed at about 11:30.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment