The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, January 11, 2021

May 7 - 10, 1977

Saturday, May 7, 1977 ANGEL, Plow

 

It has been quite a nice day. I baked beans, made bread, rolls and two pies (blueberry). They didn’t baked very good. I done up regular work, washed floor, windows etc. Billie got a lot done. Walt got a new plow for the tractor. Bill plowed at Walt’s, it worked okay. Kim don’t feel very good. Angel has heaves. Carmen feels bad.

 

 

 

 

Sunday, May 8, 1977 MOTHER’S DAY

 

I had a very nice Mother’s Day. A lot of nice gifts, money included and Zak’s hair cut. Dorothea and Dave up, they were here for supper. Dorothea, Fern, Es and I over to see Lloyd. Just the same. I feel so sorry for him. I done my washing, clothes dried good. I cooked chicken dinner. Betty got two pigs from Lawrence today. Kim don’t feel very good.

 


 

 

 

 

Monday, May 9, 1977 VERY COLD AND WINDY, Chet very sick, PAINT, OVEN FIXED

 

It has been a very cold and windy day. It was snowing in some places. I cleaned my bedroom, washed the bedding. Betty and Dawn painted my room. Betty and I went down town and got the paint. It looks so nice, light green. Bill over to Raymond Leavitt’s with tractor to load manure. Kimmy went to school from here. She stayed here last night because of asthma where they varnished and painted. Betty and Dawn painted the floor and wood work. Billie, Esther and I went down to see Chet. He is a very sick man. Betty had a meeting at her house tonight. Rain came tonight. I got my hair set today. They came and put a new unit in my oven.

 

 

 

Tuesday, May 10, 1977

 

A cold windy, rainy, snowy day. I finished my bedroom in a.m., in p.m. I worked at Betty’s helping she and Dawn to get Kimmy’s room settled. Mr. and Mrs. Saltman called, he paid Bill.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment