The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, January 26, 2021

July 3 - 5, 1977 4th of July

Sunday, July 3, 1977 BILLIE GOT HAY

 

A very nice sunny day. I done my regular work and washing. Dorothea and Dave came because Billie called so he could help get the hay and they did. They got it all hauled. It didn’t get wet. We had a steak cookout and strawberry shortcake at the Horton’s. They all worked on the float. Carmen and Laurie here for breakfast.

 

 

 

Monday, July 4, 1977 Went to see fireworks tonight

 

It was very cloudy and showery looking. I done my regular work. Fern came at about 11:30. Betty came and took us to the parade. We parked at the Methodist Church driveway. It was a very good parade. The NEW HOPE ANIMAL FARM had a very nice float in it. It was led by Gabriel with Carmen and Laurie. We came home and got ready. (The clouds had cleared up very well) and went over to Esther’s for a backyard picnic, which was very nice. Susan made the homemade bread, it was a lot better than mine. Sloppy Joes and cold salads. Buddy and his family, Walt and his family, Fern, Dawn, Bill and I and of course all of Es’s family. Also a friend of Debbie.

 

Four on the Forth runners

Four (legged) on the Fourth Runners



Nanny and Aunt Esther at the parade


Carmen and Laurie with Gabriel

Uncle Cliff

Wes Gorman

New Hope Farm float

Me (waving) and Kathy and Monica? Chris in back

Dawnalyn Nevers with Cindy Wolff


Bev Kosiba with Zak and Joshua

Laurie, Carmen and Gabe


Aunt Fern getting a lift from?, Dawn, Cliff and ?

 

 

 

 

Tuesday, July 5, 1977 MOWED WALT’S HAY, PEAS

 

Bill mowed Walt’s hay today. It has been a most wonderful day. Betty called to ask me to go to North Conway. I did. We grocery shopped. Betty, Joy, Kathy, Cindy and me. We got home about 2:15. I took care of groceries and picked the first mess of green peas. They were so good. I made a salmon loaf, also good. After supper Betty and Kim came and we went to Norway after they washed my dishes. We saw Lloyd. Betty got a cat at the vets and took it up to Millet’s Farm.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment