The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, January 28, 2021

July 10 - 13, 1977

 

Sunday, July 10, 1977

 

A beautiful day. I done my work up. Billie and I got ready and went to Buckfield to look at some cattle. He bought a cow and calf. I cooked a chicken dinner and had the Horton’s up. Betty very tired out I guess. Bill went with Ilan.

 

 

 

Monday, July 11, 1977 Betty and Walt’s hay all in

 

This is been a nice day. I did a big wash. Bill worked on Betty’s lawn tractor then he mowed all her lawns. Kim home all forenoon alone. Betty and Zak down to Dawn’s. Kim up here after supper to stay all night. Carmen went away with the Wolff’s for the day up to their camp lot. Tonight after supper they hauled rest of the hay from Ervin’s.

 

 

 

Tuesday, July 12, 1977

 

Nice and sunny in early a.m. It clouded up and we got rain rest of the day. Bill mowed Owen’s hay. I did a wash of extra things this morning. I ironed early also three other things later in the day. Kim didn’t get up very early. She had to go home to clean her mother’s house. Carmen mowed lawns. Billie and Lawrence went over to Buckfield or Hebron after the cow and calf.

 

 

 

Wednesday, July 13, 1977

 

Rained. It cleared late in PM. Betty, Carmen and Laurie here for breakfast. I done some things I wanted to get caught up and done. Now I got the scraps to look at. I got Billie’s shirts all put away. Cow and calf are doing well.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment