The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, January 25, 2021

June 29 - July 2, 1977

 

Wednesday, June 29, 1977 cloudy, foggy and misty all day, hair set, haircut Kim

 

It has been another miserable day. It was cloudy and misty all day, and late PM it began to rain and it rained 1 ½ hours so hard. Then it began to clear. The sun came out, it was nice overhead, but the ground a mess. I done up my work, took a bath and done my hair and Kim and I went over to June’s. She got hers cut, I got mine set, they both looked good. Especially Kim. Bill worked on another boat. Susan and children over in PM.

 

 

 

Thursday, June 30, 1977

 

Bill worked on the tractor. I did a wash. Washed the kitchen floor. Watched afternoon programs. It was quite a good day.

 

 

 

Friday, July 1, 1977 $227.40 Bill, ($213 old), $99.78 me, $92.80 old

 

I done my work and did my figuring. Made out a store list and as soon as the checks came we went to town. Cashed checks and went to the stores. I had Zak up for supper. Raise in Social Security checks today.

 

 

 

Saturday, July 2, 1977 beautiful day

 

A quite nice day. Fern up here for the day. Esther had work to do at home for the picnic Sunday. We enjoyed the visit very much. Betty and Dawn to barn sale. I had a good supper.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment