The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, January 16, 2021

May 26 - 29, 1977

 

Thursday, May 26, 1977 Windy

 

A nice sunny windy day. I done up my work and went down to Betty’s. We was busy. Dawn varnished all the woodwork, Betty and I washed and cleaned the utility room. Dawn helped to move things out to be cleaned under. Also we settled the porch, dining room and kitchen. It looks so very nice down there. It is very homey looking. Shiny and neat. I hope Betty and the girls keep it looking nice all summer.

 

 

 

Friday, May 27, 1977 Windy

 

It has been a very windy day. I done up regular work, got ready, went to town. Done shopping. Came home, took Betty’s and Fern’s things I got to them. Then Bill took me to the Cemetery. I set out the plants. I came home and washed, made molasses cookies for the bake sale coming up tomorrow. Bill planted rest of the garden. Betty and Dawn planted their’s. A big forest fire over in Otisfield. Carmen up after school. Kim came up here and made her cake for the bake sale tomorrow.

 

 

 

Saturday, May 28, 1977 Cloudy and Rain, BAKE SALE

 

This is been a cloudy dreary day and in p.m. it rained hard. We needed the rain for the forest fire dangers. Also the gardens and hay crops needed it. Today the NEW HOPE ANIMAL SHELTER had a baked sale, they did very well, $95.26. Bill and Billie didn’t do much. I changed all beds, dusted, swept all the house, ironed. Made beans, bread and cupcakes. Zak up here all forenoon.

 

 

 

Sunday, May 29, 1977

 

A nice sunny day, on the cool windy side. I did a dite of washing, washed floors etc. Billie worked in the garden etc. Bill down to the camp some. In evening Betty, Kim and I took Fern and went to the Cemetery.

 





Tomei  



Angel and Flicka

Angel and Flicka

Ebony and Gabe


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment