The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, January 12, 2021

May 11 - 14, 1977

 

Wednesday, May 11, 1977

 

A better day, yet it was cold and windy. I did a big wash. I went down to Betty’s for a little while and helped her. A lady is calling there today. Then I went down and helped Fern and Esther, we cleaned cupboards etc. Bill smoothed out the gravel in Cliff’s yard and he worked at Betty’s also. Betty and Dawn painted and varnished Carmen’s room. She had a lot of callers. My washer belt broke today.

 

 

 

Thursday, May 12, 1977 a very nice mild day

 

I have been busy today. I cleaned my blue bathroom. I went down and helped Betty and Dawn to settle Carmen’s room. I came home, washed windows on the outside. I did a big ironing, had a delicious pot roast for supper. Carmen came up for supper. Bill worked down to Stewart’s cottage today. Also in p.m. at Betty’s painting the fence. Betty and Dawn gone to the Board of Directors meeting tonight. Dawn stayed for supper.

 

Nicely painted by Poppa

 

 

 

 

Friday, May 13, 1977

 

I went to town. Done my bathroom, down and helped Betty and Dawn settle Carmen’s room and get Zak’s ready to paint, clean etc. Carmen to a slumber party at Maureen Mumm’s. Zak up here all night. Betty, Billie and Ruth to MMC in Portland after supper to see Chet. He is very very bad.

 

 

 

Saturday, May 14, 1977

 

 It was very cold and windy. I done a dite of cooking, cake, bread and baked beans. I did my floors and windows, down and helped Betty and Dawn to settle Zak’s room. Zak is staying up here again tonight. Kim has company today. Carmen came home from her slumber party at Maureen’s. Billie built a pen for his Acqudanda (?)hens. Bill up to camp to work. He and Billie hauled some old boards for a shelter for plows etc.

 

Flicka turns 1!


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment