The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, January 9, 2021

April 29 - May 2, 1977 Chet to Hospital

 

Friday, April 29, 1977

 

Fair and sunny but very cold and windy. I helped Betty do some dishes this morning. I did a wash and washed some windows. In p.m. Bill and I took Fern over to see Lloyd. He is real good, his mind is normal and okay. I did my shopping over there. It was sunny but very windy.

 

 

 

Saturday, April 30, 1977 A NICE DAY, MANURE, FENCED

 

This is been the best day we have had since last Friday, the 22nd, over a week. It has rained, been cloudy and awful windy the last three days. It was sunny and mild. I washed, made bread, ironed, washed floors etc. Today Billie and Carmen done Walt’s fencing. Bill and Walt hauled out their manure and part of ours. Cliff was over and got a load.

 

 

 

Sunday, May 1, 1977 Chet to MMC

 

A nice day. I done my regular work. Billie down to help catch cattle at Lawrence. Then he and Bill finished hauling the manure. Susan and kids came over in PM. Billie got a call from Ruth Swett, the lady where Chet boarded, they had taken Chet to the MMC. He had a blood clot. Tonight after supper Betty took Billie and I, and we went to see him. They had removed the clot. He is in bad condition. Lloyd okay today. Es and Cliff took Fern over.

 

 

 

Monday, May 2, 1977 CHET

 

Cold, windy and showers. I done up my regular work. Went with Betty and Dawn to Norway and South Paris. We saw a Lloyd. He is quite well. Very thin. Pat and Fern were there. I got curtains for Billie’s room. Today Chet had his right leg amputated. It’s an awful thing, he is 87 years old. Came through the operation okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment