The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, January 14, 2021

May 19 - 22, 1977

Thursday, May 19, 1977

 

Cloudy in a.m., it cleared about 10:30 or 11 AM. I went down to Betty’s and she, Dawn and I cleaned her bedroom, den and both hallways. Carmen up here for supper. Bill, Billie and I went down and got some flowers for here and for the Cemetery lots. We got them at Reinhard’s at Kimball’s Corner at Naples.

 

 

 

Friday, May 20, 1977

 

A very nice day. I done up my work, washed and went to town. Done my shopping and Betty’s. Then I went down to Betty’s. Dawn and Fern were there, Dawn sat out Betty’s dahlias etc. then left at noon to go and take her mother to the doctors. Fern, Betty and I cleaned all the China closets and Fern cleaned the silverware. I did some washing for Betty. Fern helped. I picked a mess of dandelions, came home, got a big supper, ironed and done a weeks work. Bill to the doctors, got to go back next Tuesday.

 

 

 

Saturday, May 21, 1977 PLANTED most of the garden, hot

 

It has been a very hot day. I have been busy all day. I cleaned my breezeway and I did a wash. We set the flowers out. Bill and Billie planted most of the garden. I baked beans and made biscuits for supper. Dorothea and Dave called. They had supper at Betty and Walt’s. Late this evening Jeff and Paula called.

 

 

Spring baths for Gabe and Flicka




 

Sunday, May 22, 1977 HOT HOT HOT 110 to 120°

 

It has been an extremely hot unseasonable day. I finished cleaning the kitchen, washed garage windows. Billie cleaned the garage. We cleaned the cars and I did an ironing. Busy every minute all day. It was awful hot. Susan and kids called also Kim and Zak. Fern went to see Lloyd. CHET has been gone one week today.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment