The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, January 27, 2021

July 6 - 9, 1977

Wednesday, July 6, 1977 JEFF’S 18th birthday, GOT WALT’S HAY all in

 

Another beautiful day. I done my work up. Done a dite of figuring. This is Jeff’s birthday. Bill mowed at Owen Smart’s. Today Fern was down to Betty’s for the day. She said she never saw so much excitement and going ons. In PM Billie came home, he, Bill, Betty, Joy, Dawn, Laurie, Debbie and Carmen got their hay all in. Also they got some at Ervin’s.

 

 

 

Thursday, July 7, 1977

 

Zak and Vince here today. Joy came, brought strawberries. I done a lot of work. I done a wash, I made two pies. I did a lot of ironing. A busy day for Betty, lots of company, some on business, some friends called.

 

 

 

Friday, July 8, 1977

 

A rainy day. It was quite nice when we got up but it clouded up and rained. I got ready, we went to town. Didn’t do much. Bill didn’t do anything. Carmen don’t feel too good tonight. Kimmy up a little while in evening.

 

 

 

Saturday, July 9, 1977

 

Cloudy and foggy when we got up. Billie gone with Lawrence. It cleared away and was a nice day. I went with Betty and Joy to a barn sale. We had a good supper. Billie mowed up to Chet’s place for Lawrence. Bill worked on tractor.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment