The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, January 15, 2021

May 23 - 25, 1977

 

Monday, May 23, 1977 HOT AND HOTTER

 

Another hot day. I done my regular work. I washed, got ready and went down to Betty’s. Fern, Esther, Dawn and I cleaned the bathroom, living room and dining room all today. It looks very nice. Betty had a new rug for dining room. Susan done the washing, worked in the kitchen and helped many ways too.

 

 

 

Tuesday, May 24, 1977 HOT, 85 to 95°

 

I done regular work. Washed, ironed. Bill to the doctors. I reset my Ivy plant and a few odd jobs. I went down to Betty’s, we got the back porch ready to paint. She and Dawn got it all painted. This is been another Awful Hot day.

 

 

 

Wednesday, May 25, 1977

 

Another nice day. I got up early, got my work done. Esther came and we went down to Fern’s and washed the windows on the outside. I came home, went down to Betty’s. Betty, Dawn and I worked in the kitchen all day. Dawn cleaned and painted. I cleaned, picked up also Betty picked up and cleaned all day also. She had errands to do. Bev was there off and on. Dawn and Betty painted the kitchen and dining room floors. They had supper up here then Dawn and Betty went to a meeting. Carmen and Kim were disappointed they couldn’t go.

 

Joshua

Gowen

Shelter kitties

Freya and Joshua

Zak with Brandy

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment