The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, January 17, 2021

May 30 - June 2, 1977

 

Monday, May 30, 1977 Memorial Day holiday

 

A very nice day. Sunny and warmer. I did my regular wash, regular work, made a meat pie and tarts. Billie gone with Lawrence. Bill didn’t do much. I didn’t do much today either.

 

 

 

Tuesday, May 31, 1977

 

A very nice day. It was quite warm. I went down and helped Betty. Came home, ironed, washed floors etc., got ready. Bill and I took Fern to see Lloyd. He was sitting up and looked real good. I came home, got ready and cooked steaks out on the grill. They were very good. Betty and Dawn painted storm windows etc.

 

 

 

 

Wednesday, June 1, 1977 ZAK CHICKENS, Billie got oddball chicken

 

Sunny in a.m., it got cloudy in p.m. Today Zak’s class at school went to the Rumford Animal Farm. He was quite pleased to go. First time he ever done anything like that. Some kids broke his toy he bought. It made him feel bad. I done my regular work, down to Betty’s and did her washing most all up. One more load. She and Dawn went to look at houses. Went to the bank, they cleaned Pa’s apartment. Cleaned top of the barn, planted rest of their garden. Bill to the doctors. He is coming along very good. His diabetes is normal, blood pressure okay.

 

Not sure what is going on here!


 

 

 

 

Thursday, June 2, 1977 cloudy, showers, EGGS

 

It has rained most all day which we needed very much. I done regular work, over to North Bridgton with Betty and Dawn to look at a house. I worked at my desk all day. Susan and children called in PM. Lawrence and Alice and Chris in evening. Billie got two eggs from his pullets today.

No comments:

Post a Comment