The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, January 23, 2021

June 21 - 24, 1977 Joy and Family Arrive

 

Tuesday, June 21, 1977 JOY AND FAMILY CAME, rain, cloudy and some sun

 

Another one of those cloudy showery day, a dite of sun but not enough to keep the grounds dry. This whole month has been rain so far. Bill and I went to Twitchell’s to get parts for the tractor. In PM Zak came up. Betty, Carmen, Laurie and Dawn went to the airport to meet the Wolffs. Walt and Zak here for supper. Today a program came over the radio about the New Hope Farm. It was very good and interesting.

 

 

 

Wednesday, June 22, 1977 Kim came home, rain

 

Cloudy when we got up as usual. It got to be heavier clouds and rained all day. Today Kim came home, she is quite good. I hope she takes it easy. I got my papers all read up today and other odd jobs done. In evening we called at Fern’ Was bill s.

 

 

 

Thursday, June 23, 1977 Cloudy

 

Partly cloudy, quite cool in a.m., got warmer in PM. Bill spray-painted the porch chairs that came from Chet’s. Also worked on the tractor. Betty took her car to the garage. She had a lot of company. I washed, washed floors, made mac & cheese and a pudding. Busy all day.

 

 

 

Friday, June 24, 1977 Partly cloudy, rain showers

 

I done my work. A better day but not a good one. I done my work, was busy all day. Went to town at about noon. Bill busy on the tractor all day, he fixed the chairs. Mr. Saltman called. Kim looks kind of big eyed and tired. Betty Smith’s sister, Alice, died today.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment