The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, August 5, 2020

September 30 - October 3, 1975

Tuesday, September 30, 1975

 A lot of fog but a nice day, the sun came out, clear in middle of the forenoon. I did a big ironing. I made a pie etc. Betty to the meeting (coffee group) in a.m. In evening Betty, Esther and I went down to Ferns. Done Fern’s lights etc. Billie hauled more manure out tonight.

 

Wednesday, October 1, 1975

 Another nice day. I done a little washing. They are still working on the chimney.

 

 

Thursday, October 2, 1975

 I was down to Betty’s. Bill over with Ray Kneeland trying to get a bull dozer started. A nice day. I done a lot of odds and end jobs. Down to Betty’s. She went to Mechanic Falls to take Kimmy and Zak to the dentist. Bill left the faucet running and Betty’s well went dry. George and Holly worked on the chimney.

 

 

Friday, October 3, 1975 No School me $85.70 Bill $198.40

 A quite nice day. Kimmy up here and plans to stay all weekend. No school. Carmen had company. They rode horseback. I done a lot this forenoon. Health lady called at Betty’s to see Kim and Zak. Also Betty  waited to see another lady, the humane officer, but she didn’t show. So we didn’t get to town until late in p.m. Bill didn’t get the tractor started and thank goodness someone besides me told him to forget it.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment