The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, August 14, 2020

November 4 - 6, 1975

Gabriel all ready for Hunting Season!



Tuesday, November 4, 1975

 

A very nice day, it was sunny and mild. Up early and went to Portland. We called at Dorothea’s. Then we done the grocery shopping and I got a list of things Billie wanted. We got home about 1:30 PM, that is the way I like it. Bill worked at the camp. In evening I went down to the hospital with Betty. Kennard talks real strong and good tonight. He wants to come home so bad. I pity him so. Betty, Walt and I went up and voted.

 

 

 

Wednesday, November 5, 1975

 

A beautiful day, sunny and mild but very high wind. Not a cold one. I went down to Betty’s after I got my work done. Came home, washed, made a cake, washed and waxed kitchen floor and done a big ironing. In late p.m. Betty and I took Delores down to the hospital. Kennard wanted to see her, but he was so drugged he couldn’t talk. He wants her to see the Dr. to get him out of the hospital. I feel so bad for him, it is heartbreaking. He is very sick. In evening we went down to Fern’s.

 

 

 

Thursday, November 6, 1975

 

A nice day. I did a wash, ironing down to Betty’s. I washed floors. I have been very busy. We saw Kennard, he wants to come home so bad. It is hard to see him like he is, wanting to come home so bad. He is in such bad condition. He just can’t. I’ll try to see if there is any help he can get.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment