The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, August 8, 2020

October 12 - 15, 1975 Kennard to Hospital

Sunday, October 12, 1975 RAIN, too pullet eggs

 

It has rained hard all day. I’ve been busy. I done regular work after I got up late and took a bath. Then I cooked, mended and Betty and Walt took us out for supper in observance of our wedding anniversary at Barjo’s. Had a nice supper. Very good as usual. Lawrence called, Lloyd called, Keith called. Betty came up and put some meat in deep-freeze. Billie and Keith couldn’t saw any wood at Chet’s.




Tatum

 

 

 

Monday, October 13, 1975 Bill worked

 

Cleared off this morning. After miserable rain it cleared off. I done my washing. Kimmy up here. Bill worked and Billie. It was a holiday. No school, banks etc. closed. Walt didn’t work. Dorothea and David called in PM.

 

 

 

Tuesday, October 14, 1975 Bill working, KENNARD TO HOSPITAL

 

A nice sunny day. I did another big wash. I cleaned my bedroom and living room, closets it also bureau draws etc. Down to the hospital to see Kennard. He is a pitiful looking guy laying there very sick and swollen legs, feet and stomach. Delores went with us. Esther took Ken in this forenoon, but said there wasn’t any beds at the time but they called in early p.m. and said to bring him in. He is so sick I feel so sorry for him.

 

 

 

Wednesday, October 15, 1975 FREEZER, mild and sunny, Bill working

 

A nice mild day. Betty and I cleaned my bedrooms. In p.m. we got ready and went to Sears, Roebuck and got a brand-new deep-freeze. Walt, Betty are going to have our old one. Kimmy to Girl Scouts. We didn’t go to the hospital tonight.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment