The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, August 13, 2020

October 31 - November 3, 1975

Friday, October 31, 1975

 

Betty took George to Portland. Bill and I went up to Ames store in a.m. In p.m. I washed. Also Esther and I down to Kennard’s at the hospital. He isn’t at all good. Getting weaker all the time. Esther is busy getting ready to leave tomorrow.

 

 

Saturday, November 1, 1975, Esther and Cliff left. Corselets

 

A very cloudy cold day. I done my work up, went to Norway with Billie. I got my corselets at Sears. Billie got things for the barn. Lloyd went too. In p.m. Bill and Billie done the plowing here and down to Walt’s. Bill took me to town, Kim went. Carmen had company, they went for a nice horse back ride. Kimmy’s company didn’t come so she came up here with me. Zak up here in p.m. Esther and Cliff left about 8 AM for Florida. They will stop at Milan’s tonight.

 

 

 

Sunday, November 2, 1975 SUSAN’S DOG GOT KILLED

 

A very nice mild sunny day. Bill plowed for Ilan. Also put the other weather blower in the barn. Billie done a lot of odds and end jobs. He is getting to the end. He went up to Chet’s and got his cellar buttoned up for winter. I washed. I ironed and washed all the windows inside and out. Walt, Betty and kids worked cutting the wood. Susan and kids came over and got the milk. At suppertime Susan’s dog chased the cat across the road and got hit by a car. She and Betty took her to Norway and she died on the way over.

 

 

 

Monday, November 3, 1975 $85.70 $198.40

 

Sunny and mild. It had rained during the night. Fern up this morning and done her washing. She and Betty went up to Ames to take the clock back. I helped Betty clean her house up. We went to town in p.m. and down to see Kennard in evening. He isn’t any better, very home sick. I feel so sorry for him. I wish I could do something for him. Fern and Lloyd went too. We called it Susan’s.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment