The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, August 11, 2020

October 23 - 26, 1975

Thursday, October 23, 1975 shoes

 

A beautiful day, on the mild side. Betty took Fern to Portland. I went with them. Fern got her shoes fixed. Betty got Kimmy’s clothes for Girl Scouts. I got my new shoes at Rhines. Man called tonight or late this p.m. a Myran Ward from Porterville to buy the lot on Kansas Road.

 

 

 

Friday, October 24, 1975

 

A quite nice day. We went to town early and done our shopping. Then came home and worked at Betty’s all day. Bill worked there also. Went down to see Kennard in evening, he isn’t at all good. Wyvern will come tomorrow. I hope to see him.

 

 

 

Saturday, October 25, 1975

 

Well another miserable weekend or beginning of it. It was cloudy when we got up, clouds got heavy and late p.m. it rained. I done up my work. Washed and waxed floors, dusted. Kim here, did some cooking. I cooked some of those beans, they were good. Kim and Zak went to a church Halloween party. Walt called in evening to get the papers to have the deed made out for the lot. Wyvern came for the weekend.

 

Zak popping some popcorn on the wood stove

 

 

Sunday, October 26, 1975 Carlton came

 

Well this has been a mostly cloudy day. The wind in the West and Northwest so that my clothes dried good. I have been busy all day. I got my work and washing done. Was going to read the papers and Betty called so I went down there and helped her wash the storm windows. They got them all put on. Came home, got my clothes in and done my ironing. Billie went with Lawrence all day, got all cows home from pastures. Bill watched TV from 11 to 11 at night except while he ate supper. This morning Carlton came on his return from Africa.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment