The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, August 25, 2020

December 14 - 16, 1975

Sunday, December 14, 1975

 

A very miserable day, it was snowing when we got up. It stopped than a kind of misty rain rest of the day then got awful foggy. I done up my regular work. Made an apple pie and brownies. The rest of the day to 11:45 I wrapped Christmas gifts. Bill up to Chet’s. Took Billie Deming to town at supper time to get groceries.

 

 

 

Monday, December 15, 1975 $250

 

Partly cloudy. I done up my regular work, down to Betty’s. Came home, put some clothes on the line I washed down there. I went to town. Wrapped gifts. Mr. Saltman called and brought us a box of Whitman’s Samplers Chocolates for Christmas. $250 down payment on the lot today. They began cutting on it.

 

 

 

Tuesday, December 16, 1975 $21,250.00 BILL CAME FROM RAGS TO RICHES, Carmen

 

Today Bill came in possession of money for the lot. The amount of $21,250.00. As I have lived all my little more than 65 years what you would call poor, it was hard to believe a large amount like that had come into the possession of a family member. This money is what Jean left to Bill from a nice timber lot in her will. Out of that Bill got a new car, water put into the house from the spring, a room built in the basement and the new barn built on the premises. Today Carmen was in an entertainment by the Junior High at Bridgton Academy. It was very good. Betty, Zak, Kim and I went.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment