The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, August 9, 2020

October 16 - 19, 1975

Thursday, October 16, 1975

 

A nice mild day. Betty and I cleaned my living room and bathroom. Bill worked at Jones’s cottage and Barnaby’s. Kennard about the same. Fern, Esther, Betty and I went to see him tonight.

 

 

 

Friday, October 17, 1975 MOVED FREEZER

 

Well it was clear most of the day, it got a little cloudy. Betty and I to town in a.m. then finished my cleaning. Tonight they moved the deep-freezer down to Betty’s. I hope it will give them as good service as it has us and as long, about 25 years. Bill worked at the camp.

 

 

 

Saturday, October 18, 1975 Rain, no ballgame, pig went

 

Well another awful rainy day. Kimmy up, we did a dite of cooking. I done up regular work. They came and got Betty’s pig. Wade Kimball at Waterford. Billie helped load it. Billie went with Lawrence. I was busy all day as usual. Brud came to see Kennard.




 

 

 

Sunday, October 19, 1975 Sawed the wood at Chet’s, no game

 

A fair day, not much or any sun. A nice northwesterly breeze. I did my washing and clothes dried very good. A busy day. I salted my pork and Betty’s. We cut up the fat for the lard. I got that tried out, got 5 pounds. Billie up to Chet’s, they got the wood sawed. Brud and Kathy called. Kathy rode horseback at Carmen’s. Betty got all her pig in the deep freeze. They went up to Kimball’s and got it. She, Dawn and Carmen and came home and cut it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment