The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, August 31, 2020

January 1 - 4, 1976

 

Thursday, January 1, 1976 THIS IS BICENTENNIAL YEAR, nice day

 

Well Carmen and I sat up until about one this morning. We watched the Guy Lombardo and his Royal Canadians. Very nice. Carmen watched a group also. We worked on the puzzle. She went home after supper. Chet about the same. Kennard has been gone one month today. I’m so sorry he didn’t get more out of life. It had been a hard one for him. He drank, but not that he wanted to.

 

 

 

Friday, January 2, 1976

 

A very nice day, on the cool side. I done my regular work. Washed windows, defrosted the refrigerator. Down to Betty’s a little while. She went to town and wanted me to go with her. Also called at Fern’s a little while.

 

 

 

Saturday, January 3, 1976 Althea $85.70 SNOW, Bill $198.40

 

When we got up this morning it was snowing. I made bread and rolls, a cake (choc). I done up regular work and washed kitchen floor. Kim came up this p.m. I worked at my desk today.

 

 

 

Sunday, January 4, 1976

 

Partly cloudy when I got up. I did my wash. Bill up early and plowed driveways. It cleared away and my clothes dried very good. I ironed. Billie went with Lawrence.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment