The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, August 1, 2020

September 14 - 17, 1975 Zak's Birthday

Sunday, September 14, 1975

 

Partly cloudy, on the real cold side. I done up my regular work. Got ready, went down to Betty’s. We got ready for a cookout in observing Zak’s sixth birthday which is tomorrow. Yates, Thomases, Demings, Ragers and Crooks were there. He got a lot of nice useful toys. Had a very unique birthday cake made by Dorothea. All had a good time and all was okay. Walt got a phone call on the Kansas woodlot, the man seemed very interesting. I hope he will buy.











 


 

 

Monday, September 15, 1975 ZAK six years old, Frost

 

Today is Zak’s sixth birthday. He was up for supper. He ate a good big supper. I did a dite of washing, called at Betty’s a minute. Busy all day. Bill worked at Camp Encore and at Betty’s. A nice sunny day, on the warm side. There was a frost last night, first one of the year.

 

 

 

Tuesday, September 16, 1975

 

Well, a partly cloudy day. I done up my regular work, down to Betty’s until she got ready to go away. Then I came home and did some washing and other odds and end jobs. Esther, Susan and kids called. I went down to Betty’s. We went to town. Came back, Susan was here. We all went over to the play house and picked it up and put Zak’s toys inside and locked the door. Came home, got supper etc.

 

 

 

Wednesday, September 17, 1975

 

It was cloudy when I got up. It cleared and some sun. Later clouded and rained by showers. In early p.m. it cleared. I got my work done up and then Betty and I went to Dawn’s and then to Portland to a church sale. We all got a few things. No pump today, Jones didn’t show up at all.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment