The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, May 9, 2018

May 26 - 29, 1967 House Deed Signed


Friday, May 26, 1967

A cloudy and very heavy rain and high winds all day. I got Carmen up very early. She and I left at about 5:45 AM with Billie to go to Dorothea’s at 8:45. It rained so hard. Came home, ate lunch. Betty and I with kids went down to her house.



Saturday, May 27, 1967 HOME GONE

Cloudy in a.m. Cleared in PM. Mowed lawns first time. At about 10 AM Norman and Barbara Stanford came, Bill and I left with them and went to Norway Savings Bank where we signed our names to a deed and they became the new owners of this Dear Old Farm. For the sum of $14,000. This has always been my only home, it always will be. Happy and sad times I’ve had here. I love it. It holds so many mixed feelings. Billie worked all day. Bill didn’t work. Jeff here tonight. Jeff came up, stayed all night. Mowed lawns for the first time 1967.



Sunday, May 28, 1967

A beautiful day. I got up early, did my work. Got dinner started. Jeff here all night. Billie worked for Chet. Fern, Lloyd called. Dorothea and Dave came. Bill began putting blocks in for the cellar way. Stanfords came and his brother and wife. I trimmed grass for first time. Betty here all day. We all went down to the Cemetery in p.m. Betty took me to town yesterday to get my plants for lots.



Monday, May 29, 1967 Moved some things to the new house

A very nice day. Betty and I washed. Billie to Berwick with Lawrence for cattle. Betty and I moved some things to the new house. In p.m. we went to Norway. After supper I did my ironing. Fern and Lloyd called. Stanford called in evening. Bill worked all day. Billie didn’t have to, he has to Wednesday off.


No comments:

Post a Comment