The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

April 28 - May 1, 1967


Friday, April 28, 1967

Windy all day. I washed. Bill and Gordon worked on the house. People called to see them. Carmen and I up. Aunt Ava called to see it. I got the clothes in.



Saturday, April 29, 1967 Windy

I got up and got my regular work done. Made bread, rolls, cake and baked beans. Bill and Gordon worked up to the house. Billie worked outside, picking up, raking etc. Wind blowed so hard. Gordon had to go home early. Bill watched ballgames. I had to go to town tonight. Bill wouldn’t take me, Billie didn’t want to but he did. Thomases here for supper. Jeff got his chin hurt from a bike fall and stitches taken.



Sunday, April 30, 1967

A beautiful day. Dorothea and family came up. Had a nice day. Dave took his car to garage. Bill and Gordon and Ilan worked on roof. Dave helped some. Billie raked and cleaned all up good, it looks so nice and neat.







Monday, May 1, 1967 Bill back to Work

A beautiful day. I washed, clothes dried very good. Carmen and I up to the new house. Gordon finished the roof. He and Bill got the (?) arrears lined up for the garage and breezeway after Bill got home from work. In evening the Thomas family came up and we get some medicine for Kim.Pictures came of Kim and Carmen.


No comments:

Post a Comment