The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

August 14 - 17, 1967


Monday, August 14, 1967 Nice Day

A very nice day. I did a big wash. I have Carmen and Kim. Betty gone to New Hampshire to find a place to live, went with Walt early. I have the puppy. She has been sick all day. Late tonight they came for her. Had a shower at night or after supper. Billie harrowed garden. Gordon up and did some more wiring.

Carmen and the puppy



Tuesday, August 15, 1967

A beautiful day, I done up my work. Betty and kids came up. Betty and Holly took Heidi to the vets, Dr. Gauger. She has distemper. She came home, took the kids home. Mike came over to see them tonight. I saw him. He looked very nice. Betty and Walt had a nice evening. Betty had her puppy put to sleep tonight. Ruth Ann Whitney and friend looked at Betty’s house to buy.



Wednesday, August 16, 1967 Christie sick

A nice sunny day, quite high. Betty, kids and I to New Hampshire to look for a place to live. Saw Walt out to his place where he works. Came home, had a cold supper. Christie sick. Billie and I took her to the vets at Dr. Gauger’s. He gave her a distemper shot. We are very worried about her tonight. Washed some things. Bill and Gordon wired some more.



Thursday, August 17, 1967 Sunny

Another nice day, hotter than yesterday. I have the two little girls here. Christie is better this morning, today she was out with us and like her old self. Dorothea and Marguerite and Jeff here. They went to HE Burnham auction. Jeff stayed here. Christie better tonight. Betty and Walt didn’t get home until real late. Did a big wash again.


No comments:

Post a Comment