The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, May 21, 2018

July 13 - 16,1967


Thursday, July 13, 1967

Partly cloudy, very damp after the showers last night. I done up my work after a while. I did my wash. I ironed. Fern, Lloyd called, Evelyn Ridlon called with strawberries. Betty and children came. Betty away, left kids. Got her some clothes for her wedding. Dot and Lina called. Joy and Buddy. Dorothea, Holly. I made a strawberry shortcake. I like my new stove. Bill down to Gordon’s. He is coming to work next week.



Friday, July 14, 1967 Tarring this road

Cloudy in a.m., cleared or partly about 10. I ironed before Bill and Billie went to work. I done up my regular work. Today they are tarring our road. It is very damp all around. Bill took me to town in evening. We went down and got the two kids for the night. Billie’s vacation starts tonight.



Saturday, July 15, 1967 Mama’s birthday

A pretty nice day. I done my work. Baked beans and rolls in my new stove. Betty and Walt here for supper. I had kids again tonight. Lorraine had a cookout tonight at their place. Billie helped Lawrence hay all day. Mama’s birthday, she would’ve been 87.



Sunday, July 16, 1967 RAINED

A miserable miserable miserable day. It rained all day and in afternoon it was just an awful downpour. I didn’t get up very early. Kim slept good but Carmen woke up sick. Betty came up and took her to the doctors. Ear infection. Betty, Walt and kids here and Fern and Lloyd. Stanford boys called.


No comments:

Post a Comment