The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, May 14, 2018

June 15 - 18, 1967 Moved Out of The Farm


Thursday, June 15, 1967 MOVED some or a lot today

A very hot hot day. Bill and Billie both home. Bill getting the house ready. Billie and Betty moving. I was cleaning all day and took care of Kim. Fern made a beef soup for supper. It was so good. Betty and Billie worked so hard lifting and moving. Dorothea and family up, Dorothea took Kim home, we was so glad. Billie got his new bed and furniture today.


Saying Good Bye To The Farm


Friday, June 16, 1967 MOVED

Very hot day. We came down here and worked all day. Cleaning and moving. Fern came up, she help me do a lot. Billie and Betty moved. Dorothea came up and got Kim last night. It was such a big help, got the house all cleaned. Grass all trimmed. Billie and Betty mowed lawns. It sure looked nice when we left our DEAR OLD HOME which holds many many happy and sad memories for me. I took my last bath there tonight.



Saturday, June 17, 1967 HOT HOT

What a mess this house is today. Got up, got Bill off to work. Billie and I down to the house. It looked very good. Came home. Betty came up, got me, took me to town to do my shopping. Came home, Kim was here and had to be taken to the hospital. Billie and I settled the kitchen. Bill went and got a new pump. Had baked beans for supper (store). Carmen here for all night. Kim has infantigo.



Sunday, June 18, 1967

Cloudy most all day, got cold in p.m. I washed windows. Betty up for a little while to get Carmen. Carmen stayed up here last night. Aunt Ava, Uncle Lewis called. Fern, Lloyd, Dorothea, Dave and Jeff. Brought Kim home. Jeff stayed all night. All had supper here. Bill and Billie worked on the eves. Myron Fitch worked all day and until late at night. Jim Graffam up to see Bill. Carmen and Kim got puppy.


No comments:

Post a Comment